Saturday, July 21, 2007

My God is so big!

"My God is so BIG, so strong and so mighty, there's nothing my God cannot do!" I am struck by this song as we sing it in Sunday School or at LINC (for any that don't know, LINC is for children in downtown Bloomington, and we gather for Sunday School with them after church)...

First, I'm struck by how simple and true those words are. The mountains and rivers are his handiwork- it was nothing for Him to create them- so of course there is nothing He can't do! I realize that I don't rejoice in that fact or even remember it as much as I should.

Then, I'm struck by the differences between the LINC kids and the Sunday School kids: one group learns about Jesus at home regularly, while the other group may not hear the Lord's name in any context but in vain... But there are similarities too: we don't know what the future holds for any of them. This often almost brings me to tears as we sing at LINC, as these preschool-aged children that I adore (most of the time...) sing this song with such gusto. While some of these kids will be faced with such adversity and challenges most of us can't imagine, I am reminded of the truth in this song. Our God IS so big. And there is NOTHING He can't do. There IS hope for them, just as there is for all of us.

I was talking recently about who I used to be before I was a Christian. I was "ENRG 247" and outgoing and crazy. (Okay, some of that is still there!) But I lived completely for myself, and though I thought I was happy, it was nothing compared to the true joy found in Christ. The "me" from back then would barely recognize me now... actually, the me from back then didn't want to ever be a parent. Now I can barely contain my excitement for this blessing- How far He has brought me!

My point: Thank you, Lord, for specializing in lost causes... however hopeless we may appear. And readers- do you believe there's nothing God cannot do? Do we live like we believe it?

AND I'll add that if you ever get a chance to come to LINC, please do!

Love you all!

3 comments:

Amber said...

So true . . . have you heard the "newer" song on WCIC that says, "I wish they could see me now?" It touches on the changes the Christ has made in the person's life . . .it's one of my favorites they play lately because it too makes me stop and thank God for the change, growth, and new life He has given (no pun intended : ) ) in my life. There are individuals I can think growing up that I would love for them to see the "better" Christ has called me to and given me to live.

I think where I get challenged sometime is to continue to actively live with the belief that "my God is so big . . . " His ability to change, make miracles and grow me hasn't diminished. Sometimes it's my availibility to allow Him that does I'm sad to say.

Between working at Chestnut and the other opportunities I've had, I can believe and have seen that God moves moutains and does the impossible in their lives. Thanks Brooke . . .it's good to be reminded He wants to do the same in mine.

Jami said...

Brooke in blogland!!! I just heard the news! I'm excited to read and hear what you are going to have! I love you and I miss you!!

Jami

Mindy said...

That is a good reminder. Tonight I'm meeting one of those "lost causes" for supper and I needed to be reminded that God can work in anyone through any circumstances. I'm not sure how the night will go or if we'll talk of anything spiritual, but at least I can spend some time with someone that needs a friend. I know God can work miracles because I've seen it in my own family. Brooke and Andy, you were both two of those miracles in my life! God works in us, we just have to let Him use us.