Saturday, July 28, 2007

Splurge vs. Steal

I used to subscribe to a magazine that had a great feature called "Splurge vs. Steal" for beauty products. An example: "Face Creams...Splurge: Creme de la Mer- 1 ounce, $110. Steal: [something from your local Target/Walmart/you name it], $8."


While ladies who use this product do look amazing (I've read J Lo uses this all over her body), I can't quite justify the splurge! And as I get older, I've been trying to find other ways that I can survive on the "steal" rather than the "splurge."


This topic comes up because I have used Victoria's Secret or Bath and Body Works lotions and creams for years and years- the scents are great. BUT I typically spend $5-9 for about 8 ounces, and I am realizing that I am really not that moisturized afterwards anyway! So I tried something new- a cocoa butter and shea butter lotion from Target. The ginormous bottle cost me a whole $3.44! And after applying it, I feel moisturized and smell a little like chocolate- delish! How satisfying to get the desired result for the desired price!


SO- I thought it would be helpful and interesting if you all could share your beauty secret splurges and steals... what item can't you live without, no matter what the price? And even better, what beauty items have you found that are fabulous for a fabulously low price?

4 comments:

Jessica said...

I definitly splurge on hairspray and root booster. "bed head hard head hairspray" and, brace yourselves..."big sexy hair root boost." Each are about $14.00 but Nothing else even compairs!!!!!! But I think steal on the shampoo and conditioner. I use Suave volumizing (about $2.00)and it works just as well as any other volumizing stuff I have used, even salon stuff and I have tried them ALL!!!

Mindy said...

A few of my splurges include an awesome face wash from Skin Dimensions ($13), but it is the only wash that works on my face. I also use pretty much only salon products on my hair...but my sister in law is a hair dresser, so she gets it for me cheap...hey...is that a steal?...salon products for basically the same price as the other stuff?!

I do agree on the lotion. I use to only use Bath & Body Works, but now I love St. Ives Whipped Silk. It's great!

Amber said...

what are my splurges (yikes, Ryan might say I have a few! : ) ) . . .

hair products probably definately rank among mind. My absolute favorite one is by Prive - a finishing texture spray. It's the most amazing thing I've ever run across. Kind of a hair spray. Kind of a root booster. Kind of a volumizer - and it works all day long. It's $21 but lasts me a while and I get it at my hair salon Beaux Chaveau (by Krispy Kreme). I love it.

My steals? Hmmm . . .the lotion we love to use is by St. Ives too - it's their 24 hour moisturizer. Love the smell and love how it feels . . and it lasts. Just don't get it at Meijer's - it's like $2 more there.

I'm dying to know if it's NachO or NachA . . .can't wait!!! : )

L, Ann and boys said...

Hey, this is Andria Schafer whom you probably don't know at all! I got your blog address off of Mindy's page today.

A little squeeze bottle of Vaseline is amazing to use at night on your eyes and is a great foundation in the morning too. It makes them look soft and kind of shimmery like more expensive products. Witch Hazel is really cheap at health food stores and is the expenive add in for pricier products. It can be used for all kinds of things but is a great astrigent. This is a fun post idea. =o)